Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My "baby" Cousin

My “baby” cousin got married this past weekend. I didn’t realize what that meant to me. I didn’t realize how emotional I would become when I saw her step into that beautiful gown. My whole life I wanted a little sister. I wanted someone younger than me to take care of, to watch grow, to be friends with. I didn’t realize my whole life I had that. It started to hit me when we were getting our make-up done and I had time to rest and think about my “baby” cousin and how far she has come from her “Baby Spice” days (you know, half up-half down pig tales and platform sneakers). I thought about how proud I am of the things she has accomplished since then and how crazy it is for me to realize that my “baby” cousin is going through the same emotions and excitement that I did nearly four years ago. Where did time go?

I didn’t let on that I was overwhelmed (I promise it isn’t just the pregnancy hormones) with happiness for my “baby” cousin because I didn’t understand it yet. I didn’t realize that I was coming to terms with the fact that my “baby” cousin is all grown up, that she was really the little sister I never had.

When she walked down the aisle, though, my eyes welled up. How gorgeous she looked in that instant; how beautiful the moment between her and her love, as he welled up too. I hung on every word said in their ceremony, soaking it in, enjoying their promise to one another and celebrating how they complement each other. There’s no other word than joyous to describe how I was feeling.

As we moved further into the night and the dancing began, I was again reminded of the sweet memories my “baby” cousin and I have made. We performed the Stop Right Now dance we made up at one of her birthday parties so many years ago and we belted out our favorite BSB songs, of course. At the end of the night, I was left hoping my “baby” cousin was left feeling the love. She deserves nothing less.

So, “baby” cousin, I’m proud of you, I’m happy for you and I’m so glad I was able to experience you in that beautiful gown, saying your vows and welcoming your future. Congratulations!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Similarly, she's always looked up to you as a big sister, for confirmation and to share experiences. You two are so very different, but that's never really mattered. The joy she radiated on her wedding day was obvious to all. I felt it too and am so happy for her.

sherry said...

I seriously was getting ready to e-mail you to tell you to blog ;)

This is such a sweet reflection!

Anonymous said...

I need a tissue after reading your
blog. You and your "baby" cousin
are both amazing young women and I
am so proud of you both. My hope
and prayers are that our family will
always remain close. Love you!!

She still eats her rice with a fork.