Buying Jett a big boy bed was a much bigger ordeal than I thought it was going to be. We shopped around online and realized that beds aren’t cheap, even the most basic of twins. Breanna so wonderfully offered Chandler’s old box spring and frame because with his awesome bunk bed frame, he no longer uses them. (I say old, but really they are like brand new!) Perfect, that saved us some cash! So, I was left with the task of finding a mattress only for around $150.
Brandon and I spent most of Labor Day going from mattress store to mattress store. We found THE mattress, but would be stuck paying $80 in delivery fees, fees for something we really didn’t need. So, the search continued. I called the Sears Outlet in San Leandro and they confirmed that they had THE same mattress (actually 20 of them) for about the same price ($167) with no delivery fees. Perfect!
At the Sears Outlet store today I searched for THE mattress. The sales associate soon informed me that they do not carry THE mattress and directed me to some other similar, but more expensive, mattress. Great. I told her my story, how I called and asked what they could do. She went to talk to her manager and came back with nothing to offer. We talked more and she returned to her manager, who held to his guns. They won’t change the price unless I have an ad from somewhere else to match.
I concluded to buy the $179 bed, but wanted to talk to the manager myself. I really couldn’t believe that they didn’t have the mattress that they told me they had 20 of and that they don’t even sell a bed for $167. What the heck? I explained my story to the manager, as tears welled in my eyes. As he starred at me, I explained that I wasn’t crying because of the mattress, I was crying because of my pregnancy hormones. He quickly responded, “If someone wants to get something done, just make a pregnant lady cry. What was your price range?” I told him we were hoping to spend no more than $150. “Ok, I’ll give you this mattress (much nicer than THE mattress) for $149.”
I am my father’s daughter, after all.
4 comments:
I love it. There ARE benefits to being pregnant :) I'm glad your dad taught you to be persistent!
I literally laughed out loud on this one because I would have done the same thing...Have I told you my dmv story? Anyway, I am proud of you for sticking to your guns! After all, "the squeaky wheel always gets the grease."
Your Dad will be proud! I will let him tell you the story yourself :)
Post a Comment