Since I chose to follow Christ, I’ve struggled with the fact that my family has not. I in no way expected them to become Christians simply because I did, but I am always surprised at how much it hurts when I am reminded that they are not. Before I go any further, I want to make it completely clear that I love my family more than I am able to express in one blog post (so you’ll have to take my word) and would not trade them for anything.
The week before Easter was filled with typical April showers and newly budding flowers. The fresh scenery helped me focus on what the coming holiday is about. Though I did not attend church on Thursday or Friday night with Sherry (I know I know, I’m a heathen right?), the energy and joy she felt from the services reiterated how sacred this time really is.
On Easter morning, the worship center was packed full of people dressed in their Sunday best snuggly sitting next to loved ones and friends. This Easter I shared the aisle with Brandon’s family. This was the first year I sat with anyone remotely close to family. I feel so blessed to be a new member of his family and to know that they, too, believe in the one thing that drives my soul more than anything. Along with this delight, I grieve that my family is not there with us. There is a huge disconnect between two of the most important things in my life and, so far, there is no sign of resolution.
Following service, Brandon and I made our way to my grandma and Papa’s house to feast on deviled eggs, chocolate, and, of course, my dad’s BBQ. We had a blast chatting up my cousins and talking about silly TV shows that we all used to be hooked on, like “Hey Dude”, “Out of this World” and “Double Dare”. I began to forget that my family wasn’t by my side at church that morning until my cousin yelled out something to the effect of…So what happened today…Jesus floated in an Arc? I couldn’t speak. I wasn’t mad, or offended, or even appalled; I was just sad. Sad that I knew he didn’t really want to know the answer, sad that I couldn’t bring myself to share, and sad that they may never know Jesus. I got up and grabbed a bottle of whiskey (ok so maybe it was water).
All was well again as we finished eating our lunch and made our way to Brandon’s aunt’s house. We sat around talking to his family and I became grateful that both of our families are so uniquely wonderful.
Despite the fact that my family does not seek Jesus, I have learned much from them about my faith; and, because they challenge my confidence in Christ, I believe, they’ve made me a stronger Christian. I am so glad for the lessons learned and the ones I continue to learn from them. I am also excited to be a part of another family that encourages my faith and understands why it changed my life.
I couldn’t have picked two better families and I am happy to be a part of both (Brandon is too).
1 comment:
I know your struggles all too well. Thankfully, you have a firm foundation in your failth and the support of your newly acquired family, who are very happy to have you.
Thanks for great readings! Keep them up.
Janea
Post a Comment