Sunday, March 25, 2007

Movie Star.

I’m exhausted, but my surroundings are so alive. I sit back in my chair with my arms crossed comfortably across my chest. To my left is a woman who has serious mental health issues caused by a life of horrible abuse from nearly everyone she’s ever been close to. She waved at me the second I walked into the room, yelled “KIMBERLY, I SAVED YOU A SEAT”, and patted the table in front of the chair I’m resting in now. I politely sat down. Truth be told, I would have picked this seat anyway.

On her left is a 60 year old woman with more health issues than anyone I’ve ever met. Despite her medical conditions, she has the spirit of someone far younger than her wrinkles hint. She looks beautiful. This woman has one special outfit and she chose it for tonight, you can tell she is more confident than usual. Her black velvet coat with her lavender blouse peaking out, her black pants that are just the perfect length for her petite legs and her black velvet shoes with a rhinestone buckle, however, have nothing to do with why she is so beautiful. I love the way she smiles at her husband. Her entire face curls upward and her eyes squint because he makes her THAT happy. I smile too, because I know that kind of love. Her husband has a huge heart and a huge ego. I know that sounds conflicting, but after being arrogant, he always realizes his pride and becomes the man she needs him to be, once again. They held hands during dinner.

Next to my favorite couple, and directly across from me, is a man who has severe compulsions. He asks the same questions endlessly and is able to work only when things go the way he expects. Because he has been to many similar functions and knows just how they work, this man is able to enjoy himself tonight. He has left the table nearly 10 times already to help clear plates and to show off his moves on the dance floor. Every time he’s grooving, he points at me to join him. My response is a chuckle and “no, no, I’m not dancing tonight”. Something tells me he’s going to keep asking. His charisma is contagious and I always get a kick out of the fact that he calls me Movie Star. While working in this field, he has been the cause of some of my worst days and definitely some of my best.

The rest of the chairs around the table are now empty. People come by to chat, stay for a minute or two and wander off to another table. I learn so much with every interaction. I am exhausted, but my surroundings are so alive.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did they eat while they were holding hands? That sounds stressful to me!

Thanks for sharing a bit of your night. It sounds wonderful (despite it's length).

Kimberly said...

Sherry! Come on, one hand is for eating and one hand is for holding.

Anonymous said...

I need two hands. You know. One to pick up the stuff I drop.

Kimberly said...

Ha!

She still eats her rice with a fork.