Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Love at First Sight


I think about the first moment I laid eyes on you.  Love at first sight, yes, though I knew I loved you before I saw you.  The love I have for you has only grown stronger, so strong, I sometimes can’t believe that I could love you more, but then I do.  I’m proud of your sense of humor that is well beyond that of most almost two and a half year olds; I didn’t think you’d be so funny so soon.  You’re a perfect mix of the people we love most, but I see your Dad and your Papa in you most.  I never would have expected that one little person could be so similar to two such opposite people.  I love that you are kind to your friends and that it usually only takes a quick reminder for you to share.  It makes me laugh (and makes me crazy) that you are so bossy, I guess you come by that naturally being an only child thus far, and I’m sure it will only get more exaggerated as you become an older brother. I love that you are smart, that you have an insanely good memory and that you use movie quotes in the right context.  I love your morning snuggles and when you are “gibbing [me] lots of kisses.” 

As I get closer to your sister’s arrival, I get nervous.  Not nervous that I won’t love her at first sight, I know I will, not nervous that I will love her more, or you more, because I know that just won’t happen, but nervous that you, little one, will change.  I know change is good, change is important; this change will make you a better person.  I just want you to know that I love who you are and that you are still my baby boy, even though you are such a big boy now.  And, despite the fact that I have another love coming soon, my love for you will only continue to grow stronger and I’m only going to become more and more proud of the little boy you are becoming.  Love at first sight, baby boy, don't forget it.



1 comment:

sherry said...

That picture makes me cry every time I see it. Nice post, Mama.

She still eats her rice with a fork.