For some reason my middle schoolers had loads of energy this Monday morning. As flattering as it would be for them to be excited to see me, I’m pretty sure I wasn’t the culprit of their liveliness. I asked them, “What is wrong with you guys today? Why so talkative?” All I received was another uproar of answers and reasons all too intermixed to interpret. I should have known better! So, I settled them down again and asked them to work quietly. Then I asked them to work quietly. Once I finished asking them to work quietly, I asked them to work quietly. I took away some points and, again, asked them to work quietly.
We were nearing the end of their day and, though they were supposed to be working quietly, my brilliant, perfect students were packing their bags and chatting. I then, rather than asking them to work quietly, questioned “can you guys, please, just chill for 2 more minutes?” Silence fell over all my little teenyboppers, except for one student who mumbled under his breath, “she just said ‘chill’.” Apparently they think I’m too old to use the word “chill” or I am old and the word “chill” is no longer hip.
Oh, the life of a teacher.
8 comments:
Ha :)
I tell my kids to "just chill" all the time. I also say, "Will you please just....?" and "What is wrong with you guys, today?"
Have I told you so many stories that you've picked up on my lingo? Or is it universal teacher speak? Have you perfected your "teacher look," yet?
Love you!
YES. I have "the look" down. Just a couple of days ago, I told Brand that your teacher talk just comes right out of my mouth. I'm so glad I had such a great mentor!
Thanks for all the extra "R"s by the way. That's just about how it sounds when you say my name on the phone :)
I, too, say, "chill out" frequently, but one time I even said, "Would you just be cool, man?" to a first grader. Boy, did that sound shady. Another frequent favorite is, "This is not first grade behavior. This is not KINDERGARTEN behavior. This is lower than kindergarten behavior. I think we all know what I'm talking about...". Which is generally followed by knowingly nodding heads and wide-eyed whispers of, "Preschool?".
I'm ready to chill at Disneyland lol...YAY!
Thanks for bringing my eyes back to California.
They never left! ;)You just forgot them in CA.
Oh shit. Those are still in my car. Jessica, they might be a little melted at this point.
Why does July 21st seem SO long ago?
Post a Comment