Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Desert Rat (in training)

The wind blowing against the house reminds me of our honeymoon and the sound of waves crashing on the shore. Though I’m far from Cabo, life is headed back to the happier, calmer state I was in down there. Unhappy is far from where I’ve been, but the past few weeks have taken me to a place I’m not usually comfortable. Destination: Alone. As most of you know, I demand a lot of attention…not necessarily the “look at me” attention, but the desire for someone there…people there… any kind of human interaction nearly all of the time. Here in the desert, my weekdays are far from that. Brandon kisses me goodbye in the mornings before he heads to work and I spend my days job searching, cleaning the house, cooking dinner, and surfing the Internet. It is such a relief when Brandon gets home from work. I keep myself relatively busy; however the lack of social interaction began to take a toll on me. After the first week, the search for a job became an obsessive hunt and I started contemplating settling for a job I didn’t think I’d like so I could meet people and work. At last, a surge of callbacks came my way this week. Three interviews set up.

Today, I landed a job (assuming I pass the fingerprint and drug tests…I’m not too worried about that). The job isn’t just a job. But, it’s a job that I am qualified for, passionate about and one that will challenge me on so many different levels. My position will be a Case Manager for a treatment center, which means I will be working with probation youth and their families to come up with resources and activities to keep the youth out of more trouble and keep them in school. I’m beyond excited.

Apart from the job hunt, I’ve been enjoying my time becoming a true desert rat with Brandon and his buddies from work (they’ve already made it into rat status and are teaching me). We’ve gone bowling, played DDR, gone to Denny’s for milkshakes, and watched Transformers in a discount theater for only $1.75 per person. Brandon and I managed to take a trip down to L.A. last weekend to escape the wind and on Sunday we purchased a new couch, love seat and arm chair. I love them.

So as I sink further into our new arm chair and listen to the chatter on the TV, know that things are looking up, that I LOVE being married and that I am well on my way to being established in our new home (the couches helped).



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha. I TOTALLY understand how the couches helped!

Just so you know, I'm totally the one who taught Brandon the term "desert rat." :)

I'm SO glad you blogged, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for a new blog, new couches, and a new job that you're gonna be great at!!
P.S. Yeah that we get to see you this weekend!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you sista!!! I knew you would find something that you would like out there too. It sounds great, as do the couches. I hope the pillows look fabulous :). Love you and can't wait to see you this weekend!!!

Kimberly said...

Yeeeee! I guess I should celebrate a job I don't for sure have yet, but oh well! ha. I can't wait to see you all this weekend! Yipppppieeeeeee!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! How exciting to be able to help teenagers become productive adults - a great calling and I'm sure you're up for it. Do I get to see you too? I have a birthday present for the Boy!

She still eats her rice with a fork.