Sunday, August 26, 2007

Lean on me.

Approaching my last week of work is surreal. I’ve trained new people to take over my caseload and wrote case notes about each of my clients (with more detail than I think anyone ever needed to know, but just in case, it’s included). We finally got my client's biopsy pushed up so that I can take her to her preop appointments tomorrow and to her operation on Thursday (this way she’ll be done with all of that before my support ends). Everything is coming to a close. I’m slowly being phased out and my clients are starting to lean on someone other than me. I’m not so sure I like that.

The last few weeks of work have been especially difficult. I’ve said goodbye to supporting half of my caseload already and the other half goes this week. We’re having a “Fun Day” at Shadow Cliffs on Wednesday, which is also serving as my going away party. It'll be a nice way to see all of my clients just before I'm done.


For the past nine months, my clients have expressed worry that I will lose contact with them and that I won’t live up to my promises to keep in touch (they’ve had too many support people promise to, but haven’t). I plan to. Lately, I’ve been feeling a little worried myself. What if I write them and I don’t hear back? What if my efforts go to waste and they forget just how much fun we had that year? It’s a selfish thought, I suppose, or maybe even a pointless worry, but it still enters my thoughts from time to time and more these past few weeks, than ever.

I think my conclusion is this…I love these people dearly. Some I obviously have a greater connection with than others, but for those that I’ve made the promise, I will write or call. I think I’ve made those promises not only for them, but for me. I’ve learned so much about life from my clients and losing touch would separate me from a huge part of who I have become and from a whole heck of a lot of wisdom they humbly bestow.


The closer I get to my last day, the clearer it is that I need these friends in my life just as much as they’ve needed me.

***Side Note: I'm also incredibly excited to not be working for a month and to start a whole new adventure in the desert!***

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They won't forget you and you will stay in touch! Your compassionate nature (not to mention guilt complex!) will not let you down :)

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about this so much, lately. When you tell me stories, I'm thinking in the back of my head how hard it's going to be for both of you when you part ways. I am one of your clients, too, of course. Who is going to take me grocery shopping, now?

Kimberly said...

The people who shop at Safeway will be so proud that you an shop on your own ;)

She still eats her rice with a fork.