For the most part, I am able to stand up for what I believe in and I am not afraid to tell people what I think on issues I am most passionate. This part of my personality is the culprit of many arguments with family members who happen to be equally as stubborn. Ironically, compromise is something that comes almost naturally. I don’t mean that I compromise because I am just a selfless person. I do, however, think it is easy for me to compromise because I often convince myself that I care less about the topic of debate than the other person, or I simply concede because I just want to make that person happy. I am not proud that that my motivation for compromise often stems from these things and I realize that it is tremendously important to change my motivation when it is coming from the wrong place.
Comprise is necessary for healthy relationships with people. Starting at a young age I watched my mom compromise. She taught me how. Somewhere between a young age and now my idea of compromise became less about them and more about me. I convinced myself that compromise is easier than actually participating in debate. My sister and I never liked the same restaurants, for example. I can’t remember the last time I stood up to her and actually decided to go to a place that I wanted to go. Granted many people would look at this as me being a nice, giving sister, but really I am just too lazy to put up a fight. This is a trivial example and obviously there are more important things up for debate, but it exemplifies exactly how easy it is for me to confuse giving for someone and making things easier for me.
To me, the difference between motivations is clear only after my decision to compromise is made. I never feel bitter about the compromises I’ve made out of love. It is no longer worth it to me to take the easy way out, to be bitter, and to concede. Though I’m not perfect and I’m sure I will get it wrong from time to time, expect my future compromises to be made with care because I am genuinely trying hard.
2 comments:
Does this mean you are finding it in your heart to compromise on having Stiffy at the wedding?
;-)
I love your writing, hey - I love you!!!
Keep up the good work, I love it!!
Like I said...I'm not afraid to stand up for things I feel passionate about...hahaha..stiffy can come to the reception only :) And I love you too!!!!
Post a Comment