Wednesday, May 2, 2007

I can't "bury it".

I finally started reading The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini, after Sherry’s prompting and the recommendation of many friends during my college years. I’m not much of a reader, but this book has captured (even) my attention. Sherry put it well in saying that the pace of the book is pleasing. Every character is clearly introduced along the way. There is never a moment where I have to go back and figure out who a character is. Rather, the more I read, the more I find I am getting to know each character and their relation to the previous characters, before the author introduces another. So far, so good.

A passage on the very first page of the very first chapter sparked an interest to me. “… but it’s wrong what they say about the past, I’ve learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its way out.” This idea immediately brought back times in my life where the past did “[claw] its way out” and how taken back I’ve been by it, times, both good and bad. The more I pondered this passage the more real it became. “You can’t bury it.” There are parts of my past, buried from most, that I would never share with any other than my dearest friends (not that you, my reader, aren’t dear to me) that I hope never “claws out” in company other than whom I choose. But, those parts of my past are hugely a part of who I am and STILL, even minutes, months, years later, have an effect on who I will become.

I don’t easily forget about events, details or people that have touched my life, nor do I believe that they will ever stop growing me. It is my hope that I don’t bury my past, but that I let it (that, then, you) teach me something new about how I am the way I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a haunting book, yes? The characters and words stick. I have NEVER re-read a book by my own choosing (of course, I have re-read the books I teach many times). This book, however, I am tempted to re-read.

Kimberly said...

yes!

She still eats her rice with a fork.