Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Pure Delight.

Today began horribly. Jett woke me up before I was ready to wake up, after a long night of restlessness and little sleep. I've never had a hard time sleeping, but for some reason becoming a mother has interrupted my 25 year tradition of falling asleep and staying asleep with little effort. I am far more sympathetic towards insomniacs these days. Once I changed Jett and fed him, I realized my normally happy morning boy was as cranky as I was. I tried and tried to see if he wanted to go back to sleep, but with little success, I gave into his moaning towards our play room. It was here that my morning improved.

We sat and played with his new toys and read his three new books three times. He was calm while I was reading; he was snuggled in my arms listening and looking as I read the simple words across the pages. After we read, Jett looked at me and smiled. He touched my face and cooed sweet boy sounds in my direction, as if to share his delight with the stories we read. It's moments like these that remind me how lucky I am to have a happy, healthy baby boy and how I can't imagine my life without him.

We spent the rest of the day with family, another one of my favorite things to do. We had no plan, no where to be. We were free to enjoy company and enjoy the day and, that, we did. I'm still exhausted, though...I hope tonight goes better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those early morning snuggly times are the best. Compared to those moments, sleep is over-rated, don't you think?
Mimster

sherry said...

You mom's comment made me teary-eyed. You two are cute mommas.

She still eats her rice with a fork.