Friday, November 21, 2008

I wanna be BIG.

"Being the bigger person" is cliché enough that it comes up in conversation and conflict, and it’s typically what most people think they are doing, but aren’t.

Then what is actually being the bigger person? To me it’s simply putting oneself outside of the current situation, with a greater goal in mind. It could mean realizing that your friend, family member or stranger deals and copes with something in a different way than you and respecting that. It could mean putting and leaving the past in the past, in order to heal a relationship. It could mean apologizing for a situation that is so obviously no fault of your own. It is putting your bitterness, your hurt feelings, your whatever to the side and seeing what great thing could come of it. It means trying, even when you swore you never would again.

I must admit that I still don’t have this technique down to a science, nor am I always graceful enough to put it into action in the heat of the moment, but I do know that when I use it, and when I see others using it, good things happen.

I’m proud of you, Sistah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kimmie, I love you!!! And personally, I think you are the best at forgiving people.

Anonymous said...

Me too...proud of you.
Me too...you're the best at forgiving.
Me...HAPPY you are coming HOME!!!!!
moo

Kimberly said...

:) Love you guys! Coco, tell Garrett and MerMer I say hello. :) And tell Dooda that I can't wait to hear about the fish!

She still eats her rice with a fork.