Thursday, May 15, 2008

Pinch. Poke. You owe me a Coke.

I know mother’s day has come and gone, but lately I’ve been thinking a lot about my mom and how much I appreciate every, single, little (even the annoying) thing about her.

The characteristics I’m most proud of are those like hers. I never wanted to admit it, I still don’t sometimes, but it’s true.

From her, I learned how to give. She seemingly effortlessly works to make everyone feel comfortable, she does whatever necessary to insure a smile, she eats the burnt toast and she doesn’t complain about it, and she will inspire your dreams. There is a fine line between pushover and selfless. She’s selfless.

From her, I learned to shop. I’ve never met a mom with such style, such class. I hope to be half as cute as her when I’m her age, and now!

From her, I learned to be there. Whether it was bringing me a change of clothes after an accident at preschool, helping in my classroom, watching me dance at every performance I’ve been in, cheering at all my soccer games, visiting me at college, planning my wedding, calling me just to say hi, or driving 4.5 boring hours to see me, she was there. She still is.

From her I learned to take risks. Her encouragement for change, for excitement, for travel, for happiness, for living has shaped my life. Each time I take her advice to step out of my comfort zone, she’s right.

From her I learned the important things. I’ve been her pupil for 23 (almost 24…yikes) years and I still have so much to learn. I can’t wait to be more like her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this (and your mom)! I'm thankful that she raised you to be you because your friendship is one of the very best things in my life. Thanks, Chris.

Anonymous said...

I heart OUR Mommy too!!!!!! She's the best :).

Anonymous said...

I read and re-read, cried and cried again...you make me proud. And what do you mean annoying? I'm not annoying, am I? Am I? AM I????
Love you all!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I seriously don't think you are annoying lol. Come visit...Love Me and Boo!

She still eats her rice with a fork.