Monday, September 10, 2007

You want fries with that?

The house is clean, the family room no longer looks like I brought a truck load of stuff down this weekend, and I still don’t have a job.

I walked into a painfully disorganized office with papers and such flung every which way, where I was then lead into the “office” of who, I had hoped, could be a potential employer. “What experience do you have?” I answer. “Great, your resume is impressive.” Thanks. “What would you do if a parent asked you for a diagnosis?” I answer. “Perfect. And why do you want to work with this population?” Again, I answer just right. “What do you think are important qualities in report writing?” I list a few things that I know she wants to hear, all the while I’m thinking about how report writing format doesn’t paint a clear picture of anyone and how much I despise it. “Thank you. You will hear from us as soon as they review your sample report.” (She never looked up at me throughout the interview…I was just another person for the job.) Nice meeting you.

PEACE OUT.

Rinse and Repeat.

I had two interviews today, neither of which I’m terribly thrilled with. They were both with nonprofit companies that provide early intervention services to infants. The actual job itself really appeals to me, however the companies are far from professional and far from somewhere I’d desire to work. Obviously I’m not seeking a highly paid, suit and tie kind of job, but it is so discouraging to run into companies that seemingly don’t have appreciation for their staff or have requirements for quality of service. I left feeling like they were impressed, but would have given me the job regardless of my experience and answers. They want to fill the spot and I’m just not that girl.

Perhaps it sounds like I’m suggesting that I’m too good for a job like that. I’m not too good. I think what these people do is incredibly hard, emotionally tolling, and absolutely important. But while I agree with the services they are working toward, I don’t want to be a part of a so called team that is compiled solely because it’s the only job they could find. Maybe given that there aren’t many options for employment, I should too take the job, make the best of it, show the other employees what it looks like to be passionate about work, and love on those babies.

For now, I continue to pray for a job, like my former, that the employees work toward the mission of the company and do what they do because they love those people.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish things went better today. I guess you were lucky to find your last employer. Good luck manana sis!!!

Anonymous said...

Come back! Sob, sob, sniffle, sniffle. I love you, precious friend.

Kimberly said...

Ha...SHERRY...I love you too! I'll see you as soon as I get back! Call me and let me know how tomorrow goes! <3

Anonymous said...

How come you never respond when I right.?..that's it this is my last comment.

Well probably not, but I have to make a point!

Kimberly said...

Ha...I do too! La la.

Anonymous said...

LOL - can you tell I was half asleep with my last comment :)

She still eats her rice with a fork.